Sunday, May 10, 2015

Great-Grandpa Mac

Jim, Grandpa Mac, Great-Grandpa 10/16/10
May 9, 2015 MJ met great-grandpa Mac. He was really happy to see her but didn't want to risk an accident if he tried to hold her. Good decision, but he did enjoy watching MJ sleep smile, cry (I think because he could hear it), and to see how far he has come in his 90+ years.

On our drive down to Milton, Kimmy and I thought that both MJ and Jackie would be asleep. Of course, MJ was asleep before we hit the highway. But the moment we walked into Grandpa Mac's house, MJ's eyes shot open and she was alert. Not that that was a bad thing but it was just interesting to see how deep down, MJ knew something important was happening. And that something, was meeting the oldest member of the MacElhaney family (Poppa Tommy's family).

Now Grandpa Mac, is a really nice guy. He's always been a warm welcoming guy for as long as I've known him. Kim has different has had different experiences with him, but I can only speak from my time knowing him. For example, one of my favorite memories was being at Grandpa Mac's house for just a random cook out. When the little grandkids were running all over the backyard, Grandpa Mac decided to spice things up a little bit. He decided to give rides on his lawnmower.  In one hand he had a beer, in another hand was the steering wheel, in his mouth was a cigarette, and sitting on his lap was a grandchild beaming from ear to ear.

His normally stoic face had a small but visible grin of satisfaction while he navigated the bumps of the lawn. I've never been given a ride like that by my grandfather. However, my grandmother would always do whatever she could to make the grandchildren feel special. She always had a way of making every grandkid in my family think they were her favorite. Watching Jim/Grandpa Mac towing the kids around the lawn reminded me of my own grandmother.  

Well, hanging out with Grandpa Mac yesterday was very different. He is getting older so a lot of things are changing. It is more difficult for him to get around, hear and have conversations. With all of that being said, his smile has evidently not been affected by age. When he watched Jackie poke MJ in the eyes he laughed. Grandpa Mac smiled when MJ got passed from Poppa Tommy to Beth to Joan and back to mom and dad again.






No comments:

Post a Comment